- Follow the installation steps for Ubuntu (not the ones for Windows or WSL2!) in the Docker Documentation. The easiest installation method is probably “Install using the repository”.
sudo docker run hello-worldcommand won’t work yet (
Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?). Solution: In a separate terminal session, run
sudo dockerd. Then, the command will succeed and you can use Docker like you would on “normal” Linux! 🎉
Most people will want to install Docker Compose, too. Docker Desktop ships with Docker Compose included - but as we did not use Docker Desktop to install Docker (Engine), we need to install Docker Compose separately.
Please note that there are now two different versions of Docker Compose. The “old”
docker-compose variant (written in Python), and the new V2
docker compose variant (“Docker Compose CLI plugin”). Here, I will focus on the newer one.
docker compose, you need to follow the instructions on “Install Docker Compose CLI plugin”. Easiest is to follow the instructions in section “Install using the repository” (as we already have set up the repository when installing Docker before).
(via Install Docker on Windows (WSL) without Docker Desktop by Jonathan Bowman on dev.to, which is a bit too detailed in my opinion)
- Get Total Directory Size via Command Line
- Changing DNS server for Huawei LTE router
- Notes on Job & Career Development
- Adding full-text search to a static site (= no backend needed)
- Generating a random string on Linux & macOS
- Caddy web server: Why use it? How to use it?
- Tailwind CSS: A Primer
- Versicherungen: Learnings
- Screen Recording on macOS (without any extra tools)
- WSL2 Cheat Sheet